Sunday, May 25, 2008

It's hard to find rockstars

IT guys tend to be the unsung heroes of companies. They deal with all of the "user errors" and people rarely give them credit for the things that go right but freak out about the things that go wrong. I always appreciate really good IT guys and try not to take them for granted.

Because sometimes, you find really crappy IT guys. I've been working in technology for several years, and I know just enough about IT to be dangerous (which is to say I still sometimes commit grievous human errors). But if I know more about the solution to a problem than my IT guy, that's not a good thing.

We've been migrating our email (and eventually our network files) to a new server. It has not been going well. It's difficult to prioritize hiring decisions, and IT support seems like an easy area to outsource until we grow to a size where we warrant our own internal IT team. But when things aren't going well, I really miss having dedicated and talented IT guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment