Facebook tried to prompt me to share their version of my 2014, but after taking a look at it, they missed so much. As I've made a habit of doing every year, I wanted to take my own look back and forward. 2014 was a tumultuous year, lots of highs with some lows thrown in there for perspective. One thing I'm learning is that being a mom, especially with 6 kiddos, means that my highs and lows are often wrapped up in theirs. Yet one of the things I'm most proud of is that I have a whole life, a whole identity outside of "mom," and many people are surprised to find out what a big, crazy family we have. I'm fiercely protective of both of those sides of my life and 2014 was a test of balance and preservation. I suspect that until these kiddos start leaving the nest, this is what life will be like.
I thought taking care of them when they were little was hard. I clearly had no idea...
So here it is, my 2014 in review, skewed toward things I did/accomplished, not the kids :)
- We spent New Year's Day at my first Rose Bowl Parade (my MSU Spartans were in the Rose Bowl!).
- My first book, Immersive Learning, was published in January. I did my first book signing in Las Vegas.
- Also in January, John and I took a belated honeymoon trip to Sonoma and drove along the Pacific Coast Highway on our way home. I highly recommend it.
- In February, we all traveled back to NJ and got to all of the Paganos and lots of snow.
- In April, I turned 40. We took a trip to San Francisco to celebrate, including a trip to Tiffany's and Alcatraz.
- In June, we made another trip to Pennsylvania and stopped by Philly ComicCon.
- July I got to spend with Zevon and my parents here. I miss them terribly.
- John and I celebrated our 1st anniversary in July.
- We went on a proper family vacation to Yosemite in August and stayed at the Bison Creek Ranch. I can't say enough about what that vacation did for my soul.
- I also completed the 21 Day Drawing Challenge in August. I really loved it.
- AND we went to Scare LA in August. Also really loved it. (August was a great month!)
- In September we spent a weekend camping at deBenneville Pines.
- Our honorary family member Keara was married in October and John officiated.
- I keynoted my first conference in October.
- We fostered Darwin in October, our big oafy pit bull.
- October ended with DevLearn and Halloween. Enough said.
- John turned 40 in November and we did Santa Barbara Startup Weekend as his birthday present.
- We officially adopted Darwin in December (which no one was surprised about...).
- I celebrated my 1 year anniversary of becoming a vegetarian at the end of December.
It was a pretty awesome year, upon reflection. True, I didn't mention some of the big (BIG) challenges we had with the kids or I had with work, or how I spent the better part of November and December sick. I didn't mention my frustration with myself that I didn't learn to play my ukelele, or blog as much as I want to, or to really dig into this big idea that I've been struggling to get off the ground. I didn't mention my car accident and physical therapy. I also didn't mention just all of the "stuff" we celebrated with the kids...concerts, Math Super Bowl medals, plays, talent shows, birthdays. I didn't mention John's four improv shows.
2014 was just really, really busy.
Here's to 2015, to more adventures and more love and more learning.