Monday, April 14, 2008

Location, location, location

I had a very nice trip to the zoo with my family and some friends this weekend. The weather was cool, the animals were lively, and my baby got to see elephants up close for the first time (to say she was excited would be an understatement). As we were leaving, some activists were asking people to sign a petition to send the elephants, who are about to be relocated to the Pittsburgh Zoo, to an elephant sanctuary. There was a person in an elephant costume with tears sewn on under the elephant's eyes that was waving to the passing kids. We all signed the petition, and as we were leaving, my oldest son asked me why the elephant was crying.

Ugh. I really just wanted to have a nice day at the zoo with my family.

What I realized later is that they picked the perfect location to recruit petition signatures. Lots of people go to the zoo to see, and for their kids to see, animals that we otherwise would have not opportunity to observe. As you're leaving the zoo, you are much more aware of the awesomeness of these creatures. You want the best for them. You'd like to think that they are happy in their confinement, being gawked at. And if for some reason they aren't happy?? For goodness sakes, get them someplace where they can be.

Its the same with my business, to a certain extent. Location, and timing, is critical. If you are in tune with a client's issues and available to discuss them, they are much more likely to "sign up" for your solution.

Then its up to you to prove to them that they made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment