Sunday, March 2, 2008

Everybody's working for (and on) the weekend

It used to be that Friday was the best day of the week. Sometimes it still is, but in recent years, and especially now that I'm trying to get this company up and running, the weekends are just two more working days. Working days where I'm also taking care of the kids, trying to have an occasional adult conversation with my husband that's not about work or the kids, and even more rarely these days trying to catch up with my friends and extended family. By the end of the day on Friday, I'm dreading the weekend and everything I've got to try to squeeze in to get ready for the next week.

One of the things I want to try to preserve in this first year of starting this company is my personal time, at least as much as possible. My work is my hobby, its what I love to do, and I have a hard time separating work from personal time simply for that reason...its not really that much like work to me. Ok, it is work, and I know that, and its stressful and never-ending, but I do love it. Which is why checking email, reviewing projects, etc., just doesn't seem like a big deal to do over the weekend. I've fallen into the trap of depending on weekend hours to play catch up.

But I remember what it was like to just simply have my weekends to do the non-work things that I love. So, I'm making a pledge to take back my weekends to do those things, which I never get to during the work week.

Just as soon as I finish this post...