Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'm going camping

When I started this company in February, I assumed that I wouldn't be taking a vacation this year. It does seem to be the case that my schedule is not going to allow for a whole week away somewhere, at least for awhile. But I am desperately in need of a vacation, if just for a bit, to get away and reset my mind.

Flashing back to when I was a little girl, I spent a whole summer living in a 16 foot trailer at the state park in Petoskey, Michigan. My dad had been transferred there, but we didn't know if we were going to move there yet, so we just lived in the trailer for the summer. We spent every day we could on the beach. I learned to make killer smores. My sister and I hiked a lot through the trails in the park and rode our bikes around and around. We took a lot of cold showers (although we did learn when the best times were to catch hot water in the park showers). It was one of the best summers of my life.

Flashing forward, I've become a little more high maintenance. I like my vacations to include optional room service and definitely air conditioning. We tend to go to cities, not the beach. And I can't imagine having to take a cold shower every morning.

And yet, I have been thinking a lot about roasting marshmallows (I like mine burnt a little) and making smores. I want to go hiking. I'd love to just lay on the beach. So we've booked ourselves a camping trip, although just three days, so I can do just that. I'm fairly certain there's no wi-fi in our "rustic" cabin, and I'm also fairly certain I will be taking a cold shower. It sounds downright heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment